An important part of DECA's focus on college and career preparation is our emphasis on creating a link between school and community, as well as between abstract academic content and real world experiences. DECA firmly believes that a high school education should prepare students to respond to the real world. Integrating community services, job shadows, internships and other networking experiences into the curriculum is a valued step in that direction. Drawing on staff, parents, and community resources, DECA's goal is to build sustainable partnerships with community sponsors to accomplish our objectives.
Ways to Help
Provide Community Service Opportunities
- DECA students are required to complete 100 hours of community services to graduate and, to that end, we are always seeking opportunities to place our students in the community to serve.
- DECA students are responsible for logging and documenting their hours independently.
- DECA student are expected to take personal responsibility for their community service transportation needs.
- DECA student are always available for community service projects. Please call on them routinely and frequently.
- To request DECA student volunteers please contact Anne Rasmussen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host Students for Job Shadows
- DECA's job shadow program provides opportunities for students to explore their career aspirations. The job shadow experience allows student to share the day with a successful businessperson and see first-hand the realities of day-to-day duties and responsibilities of different career fields.
- Job shadows are typically the length of one school day, beginning at 9:00 am and going until approximately 2:00 pm.
- DECA staff arrange transportation to and from the location.
- Job shadows are usually organized for one to two students at a time; however, large companies with multiple departments can organize job shadows for small groups of up to ten students.
- To host DECA students for job shadows, please contact Anne Rasmussen at email@example.com.
Host Students for Internships
- All DECA students are required to complete a minimum of two non-paid internships. These experiences allow each student to be trained and work under the direct supervision of a professional. To complete the internship, students must spend approximately 40 hours of experiential time on site working alongside a professional.
- To learn more about our internship program, please contact Anne Rasmussen at firstname.lastname@example.org.